Black Bean Burgers with Mango Salsa
- 2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 C chopped (fine) fresh cilantro
- 3/4 C (aka 3 oz) shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/4 panko (panko is Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 med jalapeno- finely chopped
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 C chopped and peeled mango (this is about a medium sized mango)
- 3 T chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 T fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- whole wheat buns (6)
- lettuce leaves (optional)
- place black beans in a medium bowl and mash with a fork. stir in 1/2 C of cilantro and the next 7 ingredients (up to and including the egg whites). Shape the bean mixture into 6 patties (about 1/2 inch thick). you can either grill them outside or bake at 350 for 20 minutes, turning once.
- for the mango salsa: combine remaining cilantro, mango, and next 4 ingredients (up to and including minced garlic) in a medium bowl. place a patty on bottom half of each hamburger bun; top with lettuce leaf and the salsa!
This is the professional photo from the magazine I got this recipe from (CookingLight)…
and here is my not so great photo haha…hey at least I try right?
And here is my sister, Danielle, chowing down…
Verdict: These burgers were very good and had a MUCH better taste than the other black bean burger recipe that I make. The only thing I will say is that they were a little hard to handle on the grill (I decided to grill them outside rather than bake them). I think next time I’ll add some Vital Wheat Gluten to help keep them together (I use this in the other recipe and it really does help to keep the patties together). We ended up taking the burgers inside and used a grill pan….this helped keep them get a little harder. but I think the Vital Wheat Gluten next time will help out alot…